Greetings, and thank you for taking an interest in being on staff at Furry Weekend Atlanta! As our year-end surveys constantly play out, Furry Weekend Atlanta demands the absolute best out of our staff. Our attendees reap the benefit in our constant dedication to Southern Hospitality, and our staff reap the benefit of getting to be a part of one of the fastest-growing conventions in the furry fandom.
Furry Weekend Atlanta is a volunteer operation from our CEO and Board of Directors down to all the staff members – no staff member of Furry Weekend Atlanta receives any monetary compensation for their labor. But this isn’t to say that there are no rewards for being staff – keep reading to see what being on staff entails as well as what fringe benefits staff can receive.
- Furry Weekend Atlanta staffers must always have a good attitude and display of Southern Hospitality. This is a must. You should treat all guests like they are special, because they are our number one asset.
- Furry Weekend Atlanta staffers must have a willingness to work hard and selflessly for most hours of the day and night with only occasional breaks. Staffers are expected to put in a minimum of 8 hours of work per day while they are on duty.
- Prospective staff members should have a good idea as to where you want to work at within the convention, even if it is as a “floater” or general-purpose staff member who goes from job to job as needed.
- Staff should be able to at least occasionally attend planning meetings, some of which will be online (we’re flexible on this requirement as it pertains more to staff whose primary functions are fulfilled before the convention).
- It is preferred, though not mandatory, that staff be able to arrive in Atlanta either the Tuesday or Wednesday before the convention, as we need as many hands as possible for set up. It is also preferred that staff be able to stay at least until the Monday following the convention, as we need as many hands as possible for tear-down.
Being on staff is not for everyone. If you find that you are unable to fulfill some of the obligations above but still want to help out, we’d still love to have you as a volunteer!
How Do I Join?
If you have an interest in becoming a member of FWA staff please apply to be a staff member at http://www.myfwa.com and click on the “Apply to Staff or Volunteer” option on the dashboard.
- Free admission to the convention!
- The right to purchase a Furry Weekend Atlanta Staff uniform after your first year with the convention.
- A Staff badge entitling you to go everywhere within the convention, including the God-Level lounge!
- A staff gift!
- Post-Convention staff party. This usually takes place in the Atlanta area, some number of weeks after the convention and after the books have been closed on the year. Last year we did a boat trip on Lake Lanier!
- Promotion from within: as upper level staffing positions open, generally, preference is given to current staff. Especially staff that have distinguished themselves as hard and intelligent workers.
- That really great feeling you get when you work really hard at something bigger than yourself, and then see it succeed and everyone around you have a great time.